In our homes, the idea of asbestos strikes fear into the hearts of those of us who remember how dangerous it can be, but is it so serious? Is it going to discourage you from buying a house where you can find it? If it is intact, according to the British Lung Foundation, it is not anything to think about.
For around 4,000 years, humans have been using asbestos because it is resistant to fire and heat, and sound-absorbing, as well as being reasonably cheap. The common name for six fibrous natural materials is asbestos. Blue, brown and white asbestos are the ones that most of us would have learned of. You can quickly inhale the fibres and they are carcinogenic.
It was most commonly mixed with other materials, including Artex, such as cement or corrugated roofs, but was also used in gas pipes, lagging, insulating materials, floor and ceiling tiles, to name a few. It is more likely to be found in older households, so make sure that you have completed a home survey. Luckily it is one of the things that is highlighted by House Surveys as Sam Conveyancing will tell you.
It can be expensive to get rid of asbestos, but if you are fortunate, you might be able to get a grant to help pay for it. In the first place, contact the local authority to make sure the company you use is approved. Until removal, they will test to verify exactly what you have. When removed, asbestos needs to be properly disposed of and the local council may need to be told that this has been achieved. If properly treated, all will be well.